Current:Home > MyLogan Bowman, 5, went missing 20 years ago. Now his remains have been identified. -Capitatum
Logan Bowman, 5, went missing 20 years ago. Now his remains have been identified.
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:30:06
Human remains discovered in Virginia were identified as belonging to a 5-year-old boy who went missing over 20 years ago, police said.
Logan Nathaniel Bowman went missing in January 2003, and his mother, Cynthia Davis, and her then-boyfriend, Dennis Schermerhorn, were charged in the child's disappearance. The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement on social media last week that additional charges are expected to be filed.
Logan's remains were discovered in September 2022 in Galax, Virginia, the sheriff's office said.
Remains found nearly 20 years after disappearance
His remains were discovered in a wooded area of Galax, a southwestern Virginia city of about 6,700 residents, on Sept. 6, 2022, the sheriff's office said. They had been there "for an extended period of time," investigators determined.
Investigators worked with Texas-based forensic genealogy company Othram Inc. to use DNA and compare it to Logan's relatives, confirming the identity of the remains.
The remains were in a trash can, according to DNASolves.com, a site owned by Othram. Also found with the body were a sleeping bag, a Winnie the Pooh blanket and a cloth fragment, the site said.
Logan went missing from nearby Grayson County in 2003 in what DNASolves.com said was "suspicious circumstances." The site said he was entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, which noted Logan had a healing fracture in his left arm, tooth decay and burn scars on his feet. Logan's case in the NamUs system is no longer available online.
The boy's father, Wayne Bowman, told WFXR after the remains were identified that Logan was a "good kid" and he would finally be able to give him a proper burial. Wayne Bowman said he hopes the identification of his son's remains could lead to justice.
"I can go on, I know where he’s at now. I don’t have to worry where he’s at. I know it hurts, but it’s going to be OK," Wayne Bowman said.
Mother, boyfriend could face additional charges
Davis pleaded guilty to two counts of child neglect and one count of homicide, court records show. She was sentenced to 10 years for each count of child neglect and 30 years for homicide, with a suspended sentence of 15 years in prison and 15 years of probation.
Davis had been released from prison before her son's remains were identified, following her sentence for the earlier convictions, Carroll County Sheriff Kevin Kemp told USA TODAY.
Schermerhorn was sentenced to a year in jail for one charge of child neglect, according to court records. A murder charge and another child neglect charge filed against Schermerhorn were later dropped, the records show.
"We are still exploring our options for additional charges," Richard Vaughan, sheriff in Grayson County where Logan went missing, told USA TODAY on Wednesday.
Neither Davis nor Schermerhorn was in police custody or currently incarcerated, Kemp and Vaughan said.
Attorneys listed for Davis and Schermerhorn in their previous court cases could not be reached.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Cardinals QB shakeup: Kyler Murray to start season on PUP list, Colt McCoy released
- 3 U.S. Marines killed in Osprey aircraft crash in Australia
- ‘Gran Turismo’ takes weekend box office crown over ‘Barbie’ after all
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Why collagen production matters so much – and how to increase it.
- Here are the first 10 drugs that Medicare will target for price cuts
- Horoscopes Today, August 27, 2023
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- 3 U.S. Marines killed in Osprey aircraft crash in Australia
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- American Airlines hit with record fine for keeping passengers on tarmac for hours
- Convicted ex-Ohio House speaker moved to Oklahoma prison to begin his 20-year sentence
- How Motherhood Has Brought Gigi Hadid and Blake Lively Even Closer
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- MSG Sphere announces plan to power 70% of Las Vegas arena with renewable energy, pending approval
- Adele Says She Wants to Be a “Mom Again Soon”—and Reveals Baby Name Rich Paul Likes
- 8 U.S. Marines in Australian hospital after Osprey crash that killed 3
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Tropical Storm Idalia forms in the Gulf of Mexico
Into the raunchy, violent danger zone of 'Archer' one last time
Florence Welch reveals emergency surgery amid tour cancellations: 'It saved my life'
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Trump scheduled for arraignment in Fulton County on Sept. 6
Republican lawyer, ex-university instructor stabbed to death in New Hampshire home, authorities say
Former Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows takes the stand in Georgia case